Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Chapter 10: Return to the Potter's and Moliendo Café

  The second time we went to the potter's we were given a piece of pottery to smooth with a stone. For some people it was the one that they had created the week before, for others such as myself it was a generic piece, which I was completely happy with since mine hadn't been much of anything at all. The process was incredibly similar to sanding wood except the clay wasn't as cooperative. No matter the cooperativity of the clay, it was a super calming repetitive action. Have you ever done a repetitive, mindless action for a long period of time? You are able to let your mind wander aimlessly, forming an almost zen bond with your activity. Once my small pot was suitably smooth I was able to use a pen to etch my initials in the bottom and a design around the outside. I engraved an octopus on one side and a T-Rex on the other.

  When we finished, wow, we were so hungry! Ross, Emilie and I went to a Colombian restaurant called Moliendo Cafe that Emilie knew about. Everything on the menu looked amazing, but I didn't want to ruin my dinner so I got an Arepa with pulled beef and peas and carrots. An Arepa is a type of corn tortilla, a bit thicker than the tortillas that we use for tacos in the states. Oh man, was it good. Sadly I didn't take any pictures, I really should have. Ross had a large platter with a fried egg, baked beans, bacon, a sausage, rice, and an avocado. Apparently that's a fairly common meal in Colombia which I was surprised about for two reasons: a) it seemed incredibly similar to what cattle drivers would eat in the Southwest of the United States and b) my dad's best friend is from Colombia yet on the whole I hadn't heard him talk about a meal like this being common in Colombia. We also had Milo with dinner which is like Yoohoo! milk, but better.

No comments:

Post a Comment