Friday, April 20, 2012

Interlude 3: David Byrne Sightings

  Here in Cuenca I've seen all walks of life. I mean, its a big city, of course I have. For example on my walk to class the other day I saw a young businessman while I was waiting for a green light at a cross-walk. He looked to be about my age, wearing a pinstripe suit that looked a tad too large on him. He looked a bit like David Byrne at a Talking Heads concert in the 80's. The only thing that seemed to fit was the soft leather briefcase he carried at his side. The way he was carrying the briefcase made it seem that he'd grown to respect his tool-of-the-trade in  his short time in the business world. And I liked that: the slightly over sized pinstriped suit, the reverence for the briefcase, and more so the universality of being thrust into a business or professional world when you still look and feel a bit too young to be there. Thrust into a world of suits, coffee and cigarette breaks, cut-throat negotiations and rapid insincere name dropping when you still look a little young for the razor blade and a little out of place for the world of 5 o'clock shadows.

Talking Heads
Girlfriend is Better

No comments:

Post a Comment